We started…by deciding where to start. As you all know, I put our learning and class schedule into your hands because, simply put, it is your project. So, one way I prepare you to run the Facilitator Training Program together is to let you steer planning and design yourself, while I offer options and guide a little. Also, I model Studio pedagogy, soliciting with elicitive questions, encouraging interactional inquiry.
Of course, when a facilitator (or mentor, teacher, advisor, etc.) does this, it can be frustrating to individuals in the group—especially if they really want or need direction, so we have to be aware of those needs. I addressed this by meta-teaching [teaching about teaching methods], mentioning this method and my intent, and you happily took the bait, grouping up to further develop your materials for Training.
As I went around, I was impressed by your strategic planning as you worked to improve the elements that you deemed lacking in last year’s program. For the most part, I saw a lot of collaborative problem-solving as you fluidly responded to each other’s ideas for your sections. I happy to give some directive assistance when asked, but largely my input consisted of “Studio facilitator” techniques: clarifying the questions you asked me, and giving them back to you; “saying back” the ideas and exact phrases you ran by me; validating your ideas with encouragement. It was great watching you all work together.
We got the news that laptops will be arriving on June 30, at the earliest; fortunately, we have the computer lab—306 CAS, I believe?—to use in the interim. We decided to go ahead and have students create and maintain electronic portfolios, as they will have access to the computer lab. We should strongly encourage them to plan on being “done for the day” at 8:30, giving them enough time to work with tutors and use the computers.
To be sure there is a Mentor accountable for coordinating and problem-solving certain aspects of Training, we volunteered for these responsibilities:
Angela: Assessment & Data Collection
Vanessa: Councelor liaison; Distribution of laptops; space & scheduling; enrollment
Eric, Musheera, Nic: Program Website; announcements; supporting docs
Sam: Food; Conceptual timeline;
Sam & Eric: Support group liaison
Everyone: Facilitator liaison [we assigned Facilitators to each Mentor, as well]
We then moved on to implementing these changes into our assigned website documents.
…And that’s where we are.
For Thursday, June 9:
Complete your revised website documents, and email them to Eric, so he can build the site. We’ll review these, identifying our guiding concepts and principles; offering further revisions and comments.
We will put your plans into practice: We’ll run through a “prototype” of one full day of planned activities, in time-lapse mode. This will enable you to see a realistic schedule in practice—what’s great, what needs more work, and what needs to get hacked.
We’ll model and practice a Writing Studio using your Program docs and/or your creative pieces.
[Learning style survey/inventory? Bias test? https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/ ]
[Learning style survey/inventory? Bias test? https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/ ]
No comments:
Post a Comment